SOFTBALL NEWFOUNDLAND LABRADOR HISTORY
The founding meeting of Softball Newfoundland Labrador was held on the evening of Saturday, July 26th, 1963 at the PC Club Rooms 112 Military Road in St. John’s.
The first meeting attracted delegates from seven centers who were participating in an Invitational Softball Tournament that weekend in St. John’s.
The delegates elected were Denis (Dee) Murphy-President, Reg Caughie-Vice President and Vince Withers-Secretary/Registrar.
As a result of the meeting, the Invitational Softball Tournament became the first Provincial Softball Championship!
The tournament was played from July 25 to 27 at Bannerman Park and at the Pleasantville Ball Field. The following 10-teams participated in the first Provincial Softball Championship: Argentia Seals, Bell Island, Civil Service Softball League, Conception Bay South, Conception Bay North, Fox Harbour, Gander, Kilbride, Placentia & St. John’s Capitals.
The first Championship Game was played at the Pleasantville Ball Field and thanks to a sixth inning two-run home run by catcher Ed McCoy, the Argentia Seals edged the St. John’s Capitals 3-2 to claim the first Provincial Championship and the Richard Cashin Trophy.
The first three Provincial Championships were won by the Argentia Seals an American based team stationed at Argentia Naval Base in Placentia.
The first Canadian Softball Championships were held in Calgary, AB from August 12 to 15, 1965 with the American based team Argentia Seals representing the Province.
In 1966, the Labrador City Carol Lakers became the first local team to capture the Provincial Championship and in 1967, the Labrador City Carol Lakers became the first Newfoundland Labrador team to participate in the Canadian Softball Championships from August 24 to 27, 1967 in Saskatoon, SK.
Since that humble beginning in 1963, the Provincial Championships have been held for fastpitch and slo-pitch in 35-divisions from Minor to Adult for Male and Female. The Championships have been held across the Island, as well as in Labrador.
Softball Newfoundland Labrador
Annual General Meetings (1963-2018)
- 1963–St. John’s–July 27–PC Club 112 Military Road
- 1964–Gander–July 24–Hotel Gander
- 1965–Argentia–July 23–Recreation Center
- 1966–Argentia–August 12 & 13–Recreation Center
- 1967–St. John’s–July 29–Pleasantville Legion
- 1968–St. John’s–April 5 & 6–Holiday Inn
- 1969–St. John’s–April 11 & 12–Holiday Inn
- 1970–St. John’s–April 17 & 18–Holiday Inn
- 1971–St. John’s–April 23 & 24–Holiday Inn
- 1972–Grand Falls–July 14–Simwestco Hotel
- 1973–Gander–November 16 & 17–Hotel Gander
- 1974–St. John’s–November 15 & 16–Airport Inn
- 1975–St. John’s–November 14 & 15–Airport Inn
- 1976–St. John’s–November 19 & 20–Airport Inn
- 1977–Gander–November 26 & 27–Holiday Inn
- 1978–Argentia–November 25 & 26–Officers Club
- 1979–Gander–November 16, 17 & 18–Holiday Inn
- 1980–St. John’s–October 24, 25 & 26–Airport Inn
- 1981–Corner Brook–October 23, 24 & 25–Glynmill Inn
- 1982–Gander–October 29, 30 & 31–Hotel Gander
- 1983–St. John’s–November 25, 26 & 27–Travellers Inn
- 1984–Clarenville–November 23, 24 & 25–Holiday Inn
- 1985–Gander–November 22, 23 & 24–Hotel Gander
- 1986–Marystown–November 21, 22 & 23–Motel Mortier
- 1987–St. John’s–October 23, 24 & 25–Holiday Inn
- 1988–St. John’s–November 18, 19 & 20–Holiday Inn
- 1989–Gander–October 27, 28 & 29–Hotel Gander
- 1990–St. John’s–October 26, 27 & 28–Holiday Inn
- 1992–St. John’s–May 08, 09 & 10–Travellers Inn
- 1993–Marystown–April 30 May 01 & 02–Motel Mortier
- 1994–St. John’s–November 04, 05 & 06–Holiday Inn
- 1996–St. John’s–May 11 & 12–Travellers Inn
- 1997–St. John’s–April 25, 26 & 27–Travellers Inn
- 1999–St. John’s–April 24 & 25–Battery Hotel
- 2000–St. John’s–May 12 & 13–Pleasantville Legion
- 2001–St. John’s–December 08–Labatt Brewery
- 2002–St. John’s–November 23–Labatt Brewery
- 2004–St. John’s–May 08–Bally Haly
- 2005–St. John’s–May 28–Bally Haly
- 2008–St. John’s–May 24–Labatt Brewery
- 2009–St. John’s–May 31–Labatt Brewery
- 2010–St. John’s–November 28–McPherson Elementary School
- 2011–St. John’s–March 05–Holy Cross Elementary School
- 2012–St. John’s–January 14–Holy Cross Elementary School
- 2013–St. John’s–April 13–Holy Cross Elementary School
- 2014–St. John’s–April 13–Holy Cross Elementary School
- 2015–St. John’s–April 25–St. Paul’s Junior High School
- 2016–Mount Pearl–April 30–Mount Pearl Senior High School
- 2017–Mount Pearl–May 06–Mount Pearl Senior High School
- 2018–Mount Pearl–April 13-14-15–Mount Pearl Senior High School
- Note: More Locations To Be Announced For 2018 AGM