Softball Canada Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Team
Softball Canada is looking for passionate members of the softball community who are interested in sharing their experiences and contributing their ideas by joining our newly formed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team.
The sport of softball has a strong appeal due to ease of play, adaptability, low cost and varying levels of competition and involvement with strong traditional roots, particularly among indigenous peoples, the LGBTQI2S+ community, people with a disability and women in sport.
The purpose of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team is to provide a strong voice to underrepresented groups and their allies to help strengthen Softball Canada’s values of providing fair and inclusive access, supporting safe and fun environments, and operating with respect and dignity.
The Team will serve in an advisory capacity, with the main objectives of:
- Building stronger relationships with underrepresented groups and members.
- Gathering valuable information that will help guide decision-making.
- Reviewing and updating current Safe Sport policies and systems with the goal of reducing or eliminating barriers to participation.
- Developing resources and content that highlight the sport’s initiatives.
- Execute short, mid and long-term goals as established by the team.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team will be able to suggest any additional objectives as they feel are required under the scope of this committee.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team will be comprised of diverse representatives who will work towards the delivery of specific outcomes and recommendations.
In making recommendations, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team will be asked to consider:
- Their personal experiences in the sport of softball in terms of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Barriers to participation they have experienced themselves or have heard from others.
- Actions that can be taken by Softball Canada to directly address identified barriers.
- Ideas on how Softball Canada can better promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
AREAS OF FOCUS
Softball Canada has identified the following areas of focus for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team:
- Black / People of Colour
- People with a Disability
- Socio-Economic Status
- Women in Sport
Candidates interested in being part of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team are asked to fill out the Application Form on the Softball Canada Website at https://softball.ca/deiteam by January 8th, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed by the Committee Chair and assigned Softball Canada staff. Recommended candidates will be presented to Softball Canada’s President, CEO and Board of Directors for approval. Softball Canada is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive Team – all applicants will be considered.